CASE STUDY: Repairing Spalls Permanently
Customer: Lowe's Home Improvement, U.S.A.
Problem: Concrete spalls and damage from forklifts
Solution: Permanent repair of spalled area
- Remove loose and hollow sounding concrete with concrete scarifier, milling machine, grinder or blasting machine. Void test by dragging chain or "pinging" with hammer. A clean, white, rough, solid substrate should be attained
- Use diamond blade saw to establish perimeter by cutting 1/2" vertical 'key' with 45º slope from inside. A symmetrical surface is desired
- Route cracks with crack chaser a minimum 1/2" deep to prepare for filling
- Blow or vacuum all dust and debris from cracks and prepped areas
- Using pressurized spray-gun, apply thin coat coat of FlexPrime, leaving no puddles or ridges. Apply only enough FlexPrime to darken concrete and allow to tack
- Mix 2 parts sand with 1 part catalyzed FlexKrete and force flush into cracks with trowel
- Mix 3 parts sand with 1 part catalyzed FlexKrete, fill spall areas and smooth with trowel, fresno or screed, extending to and forcing material into perimeter 'key"
Material Costs and Completion Time (Approximate)
Completion Time: 2.0 hours
For information call FlexKrete at 972-964-8707.